Week Eleven Assignments

CC: Some rights reserved by Joe Shlabotnik on Flickr

• Readings:
    • Read this post by Melanie McBride, Praxis 2.0: Escaping the edu-travelogue. I want you to consider the ideas she’s presenting in this post, and how she’s challenging schools and teachers to think differently about teaching remix/mashup in the classroom.The post may present some ideas that you are not familiar with (particularly WRT to educational theory). I expect you to be a bit challenged by the language and ideas; I want to know what you make of the author’s overarching argument. I also want you to think about how this relates to the creative activities of this class. Is the work you are doing more akin to traveling or creating a travelogue?
    • Read this article by Brian Lamb, Dr. Mashup; or, Why Educators Should Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Remix. As you’re reading, consider the question of whether or not remix/mashup is an “assault on originality?” Is remix and mashup a “new” art?
    • Next week, we’ll be extending our Video unit into the art of remix/mashup. Both of these readings can inform the work you’ll be doing. In preparation, after reading these articles, I want you to blog about your understanding of what you’ve read. What do you already know about remix and mashup culture? Have you already played around with remixes or mashups (consider what you’ve already done for this class). Have the readings challenged your understanding of these ideas? Do you think remix/mashup can be authentically taught? (tag: remixreadings)
  • Technical/Online Exploration:
    • Keep adding items to the Digital Storytelling Collective on Delicious!!
  • Storytelling
    • Create a Video Essay based on the introduction to the assignment from Jim in class on 3/24 and his notes on the assignment here. (tag: videoessay) Due Date: Saturday, April 2 at midnight.
    • Continue working on your final projects! I should see updates/progress reports at least once a week.

1 comment

• Melanie on March 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

A note about context: I wanted to point out (because I’m not sure it’s clear) – that I’m mostly talking about K-12 education, not post secondary (where educators enjoy a far greater amount of academic and individual freedom than those at the elementary/secondary level — where students and teachers obey far stricter conduct policies. Just the fact that high school students here in my province still have to stand at attention each morning for the national anthem (regardless of their personal feelings about mandatory nationalism), ask to go to the bathroom and otherwise have limited freedom of movement or expression (similar to teachers). Profs can drop the odd F-bomb and nobody blinks. For a teacher to do so (or even show content with these words) can result in disciplinary action, outraged parents and etc. K-12 is a very different world from that of the university.

Comments have been disabled.